Words are What Matter. Nothing Else.
I know in my email last week that I said I wasn’t going to give you the whole, Life is busy, school and work and homework ugh, speech, but here I am. Ha!
Seriously though, it’s been a long few months.
I’ve been juggling an internship, part time job, full course-load in a new major, and this lovely little blog of mine. Since January, I’ve been swimming in to-do lists and self-set deadlines, gasping for air when I have the chance.
Up until 2 weeks ago, I was doing great! Both surviving and thriving, as the kids say.
But with the end of the semester drawing near, I’ve found my freestyle stroke to be a little weak, and I need some time to rest.
Last week I took a break from posting on here and on my social medias, and tried my very best to ignore my dropping follower count and lowered engagement. Deep breaths, Lane.
What I realized this last week is just how much I love what I do.
It’s in my nature to focus on analytics and numbers and subscribers, and these are all good and fun. But when it comes down to it, I just really love writing.
It’s something I’ve always been good at, and ignored for too long. I always appreciated a beautiful piece of writing, but never spent the time on developing my own.
Now, I’ve got this incredible platform to wrangle all the thoughts in my head, and see if I can build some writing worth reading.
And I’ve found so much inspiration for this blog in the last week.
Every tid-bit of wisdom that my professors have shared with me is written down in my notebook. Every little joy I’ve experienced has been met with immense gratitude and acknowledgment. The Captain’s Speech’s 5000 subscriber celebration post this morning was the icing on the cake for me. He’s been writing for 5 years now, and his only piece of advice for growing your blog: write.
Words bring people together. Not perfectly curated photos, not a cohesive Instagram feed, not click-bait titles. Words. Meaning. Humanity.
THIS is what gives me that about-to-jump-out-of-a-plane adrenaline rush. This is what makes me feel full. This is what makes my heart warm.
Aside from writing, these things also made my heart warm this week:
- Thinking about my regular customers at my old restaurant job. Wondering where they are now, how they’re doing, and who’s serving John his Don Julio Blanco margarita with a 2 count of triple sec and squeeze of fresh lemon.
- A girl coming up to me in a bar saying she recognizes me from Instagram, and she loves how I post about loving yourself and finding happiness.
- Stepping out of the house in the morning and feeling the warmth of the sunshine.
- The man who approached me in my office’s lobby today and said, “I just had to come over here with my invisible camera and take a snapshot of you because you’re glowing. Girl you’re shining. You’re blessed. Keep doing what you’re doing.”
- Cooking an actually decent meal for one of my favorite humans ever
- Receiving texts from old friends who appreciate this blog, and appreciate me
So, I’ll keep writing.
I’ll keep sharing my innermost thoughts and dreams and passions with you. All you gotta do is read.